2021-2022 School Counseling Goals
Goal #1- Increase the average daily attendance for all grades to 95% or higher by the end of the school year.
- Covid has taken a toll on student attendance. While we want our students to stay home if they are sick, it is going to take all of us to get our students back in the routine of daily attendance. We encourage students to be here everyday they are healthy so they don’t miss out on all the lessons teachers have planned, on spending time with friends, and participating in all the enriching activities MGMS has to offer.
- We appriciate parents diligance in having their students to school everyday and scheduling appointments and activities outside of school hours and during days off. This will increase students learning outcomes and decrease any stress students feel when they have to catch up on missed work.
- Here is a helpful resource for facts and information about student attendance. https://files.gabbart.com/2170/middlehigh_handout_101321.pdf
Goal #2- Raise student awareness and understanding about the topic of Grit.
- Grit is definied as how well students are able to persevere through setbacks to achieve importnat long-term goals.
- Grit is one of the items identified in our yearly Panorama survey. This is an area in our students that needs to be built up.
- Parents can help build Grit by working through problems with students and pointing out when they perservere to reach a goal. Parents can also help students think of a challenge that stops them from doing their best. Then make a plan with them to beat that challenge and share the plan with a friend or family member.
- Students will be creating grit goals this year. Parents, teachers and friends can all ask how the progress is going on their goals as a way to hold student accountable.
- Some helpful information in the area of Grit can be found at these links. https://angeladuckworth.com/grit-scale/ https://www.ted.com/talks/angela_lee_duckworth_grit_the_power_of_passion_and_perseverance?language=en https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hiiEeMN7vbQ